Increasing your flexibility is great for you, whether you are 16 or 65 - the benefits are countless. Increased flexibility has proven to improve balance, strength, injury prevention, posture and less pain.
See below my top 10 tips for increasing flexibility:
1. Stretch for longer - you will need to stretch for more than 1-2 minutes if you are to increase flexibility.
2. Progress the stretch - many of us start stretching then release the tension after a few seconds. To increase your flexibility you have to continue to push throughout the stretch.
3. Learn what assistance muscle groups are - if you are looking to improve a muscle group, make sure you take time to stretch other muscle groups that help the target muscle.
4. Use tools and equipment to help - foam rollers and bands are incredibly good at helping you stretch.
5. Consistency - to improve your flexibility you need to spend every day maintaining or improving your flexibility. It will not happen overnight so keep at it.
6. Breath - holding your breath for 1-2 minutes is clearly not advised! Breathing is pretty important for life, keep doing it whilst you stretch.
7. Flexibility or stretching - flexibility refers to the range of motion for a given joint. The degree of flexibility that a person has is influenced by muscles and connective tissues, like ligaments and tendons. Stretching is a form of exercise that can lead to an increase in flexibility.
8. Dynamic stretching - try doing dynamic stretches before exercises the more you stretch before the session the better. It will activate the muscle and prevent any build up of lactic acid.
9. Stretch at home - you don't always have to stretch at the gym. It is less effort to just do your stretching at home.
10. Do your research - some stretches might not be best suited for your needs. Seek professional help or google the best stretches depending on your current tightness.
Be your best!