Gaining muscle takes forever, trust me. If you thought that fat loss takes a while, try building muscle.
See below my top 10 tips for building muscle:
1. Lift heavy - you will need to lift heavy to build muscle, no more light weights on a machine.
2. Lift slower - slower tempo increases fatigue and muscle development so go nice and slow. Time under tension!
3. Don't skip carbs - it is your fuel and essential for increased intensity of workouts, keep yourself performing at the highest.
4. 8-12 repetitions - this number varies slightly but 8-12 repetitions is a good starting point.
5. Consistency - just like fat loss - this is a continuous process of hard work and dedication
6. Frequency - I am a strong believer in frequency, don't just hammer your legs on one day and wait 7 days to do it again. Mix up the muscle groups.
7. Advanced methods - towards the end of the work out, try some advanced training methods like drop sets, giant sets or supersets to get true muscle fatigue.
8. Additional protein - when your training intensity rockets up you will probably feel ok for the first week but soon your body will start to struggle. Recovery is so important!
9. Train with a friend - let them spot you! The biggest fear of increasing weight is the risk of injury.
10. Stretch and flexibility - lifting heavier weights places additional stress on joints, make sure you are lifting safe and efficiently.
Be your best!